An `AI in Design' View of Design
Solving a design problem efficiently requires an adequate representation. AI researchers have identified knowledge types which structure information based on various needs. One of the major tasks of any design system developer is to identify all the pieces of knowledge used by the system and to map them onto the most convenient representations provided by AI.
- What kind of domain-(in)dependent knowledge does the system have?
- Describe the domain knowledge entities used by the system.
- Describe the domain-independent knowledge entities used by the system.
- For each of the knowledge entities enumerated in the previous two sections, specify the knowledge representation which is used.
- Which of the previously identified types of knowledge can be labelled as deep or surface?
- Are there any hierarchies provided?
- Does the system rely on models?
- Does the system keep any record of its activity?
- Is there any rationale stored or used?
Up : Next
/Papers/IJDC/sect4.html Tue May 27 21:06:36 EDT 1997