An `AI in Design' View of Design
System evaluation remains one of the most difficult parts of the conception and development of a design system. The primary criteria remain the cost of the resources used, as well as the satisfaction of the user with the quality of the results and the ease of use of the system. The AI in Design community has not yet established standard criteria by which to compare knowledge-based design systems. The methods used to evaluate design systems are strongly indicative of the intentions of the developers and should be used as part of the characterization of each system.
- Is the system implemented and operational?
- Have the results been validated in real-life applications?
- What kind of performance criteria have been used?
- How difficult is system development?
- How accessible is the system to the user?
- How difficult is it to maintain and update the system?
- Is the system or parts of it reusable in different applications?
Up : Next
/Papers/IJDC/sect7.html Thu May 29 18:05:26 EDT 1997