Advanced Topics in Database Systems
- Students will form teams of two to work in a semester-long project.
- The instructor will suggest few projects that students can work
on. However, students are welcome to propose ideas as well.
- The instructor will work closely with each team during the semester to provide continuous feedback and directions.
Projects are either done on top of a relational database
management system (e.g., PostgreSQL) or Hadoop infrastructure. Each
team, depending on its selected project, will be required to install
either of PostgreSQL or Hadoop to work on.
- By end of Week 3 (01/26/2012):
- Students should decide on teams and the project they want to work on.
- By mid of Week 5 (02/07/2012):
- Each team should install the platform on which they will work. Make sure it is working. And get familiar with it.
- Each team should collect the related material (e.g., related papers and presentations) to build the needed background.
- Each team should meet the instructor to put milestones (sequence of steps) for the project.
- After that:
- Weekly (or bi-weekly) meeting with the instructor to discuss what has been done and what will be the next step.