Craig E. Wills
Professor and Department Head
Computer Science Department
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
100 Institute Road
Worcester, MA 01609
cew AT cs DOT wpi DOT edu
Current Regular Schedule
I am a faculty member in the Computer Science
Department at Worcester Polytechnic
Institute (WPI). More professional information about me along with a
list of my publications is available in my vita. A list of
publications available online can also be accessed.
Research and Project Interests
- PEDS Research Group
- Systems and networking research group.
- Privacy on the Web
- Work to measure and understand privacy leakage on the Web while
investigating techniques to prevent it.
- Measuring Home Network
- Work to examine home
impediments and increase incentives for helping
a user better understand "How's My Network".
- Utility Computing for
- Work to examine the utility provider model for service-oriented computing.
- Higher Education
- Work to analyze aspects of higher education.
- Sports Analytics
- Work on sports analytics.
- Internet Applications
to examine Internet applications and protocols in order to better
understand them and improve their performance.
- Web Performance and Caching
- Work to reduce the costs and improve the coherence of Web caches.
Includes an NSF-supported project to exploit object
relationships for more deterministic management of distributed objects.
- Distributed Computing
- Projects in the area of distributed computing, load balancing and
resource location in a distributed environment.
- Network Management and Serviceability
- Work to monitor, determine serviceability and display information
about computer networks.
- Flexibility in Systems and Interfaces
- Work on how users customize user interfaces and how systems change as
they are operate.
- Manipulation of a User's Information Space
- Work on how computer users find, view and manipulate available
information on a day-to-day basis.
- Webbib Project
- Project to create an online bibliography of literature relevant to
studying distributed systems topics as they relate to the World Wide Web.
- Peer Learning in the Introductory Computer Science Curriculum
- Project to use peer learning to an introductory data structures course
and studying its use in the introductory computer science curriculum.
- Integration of Research and Curriculum
- Work on integrating research interests in distributed
computing, networking and user interfaces into the undergraduate
The following are courses I am currently teaching or have recently taught.
Theses and Projects
I generally advise theses and MQPs in the areas of networking, operating
systems and user interfaces. The specific theses and
MQPs and IQPs I have advised can be found here. I also have some ideas
for additional MQP/IQP topics .
My own guidelines for projects as
well as my Dos and Don'ts for writing
project reports are available as well.