5/01 - Presentation in class today. Everything went great except for a corner of our car fell into the map. Here's the problem with it: currently the colision meshes on the wheels are what is really keeping this thing above the ground since the car one is being tempermental. Since three points geometrically define a plane and we have four wheels we can consider the area that these cars brace themselves for is a rather flat area defined to be below the composite of these four planes. What happens is on bumpy terrain or terrain where three wheels to not touch down the angle between the ground plane and the planes defined by the wheels becomes too great and we get stuck. If we spread the wheels the four internal planes can have more variance but that gap in the middle will make it easier to get stuck on a ramp. I guess the options are either make a better car mesh or try to find a middle-ground spot for the wheels on the car (or both). I'd rather try fixing the colision mesh first.
4/30 - New skins on car, new track in place, opening GUI finished, lap counter in place
4/28 - Models done
4/27 - Made more things to populate the world.
4/26 - I was in a bad mood so I made a new thing for the car to run over (picture). 4/25 - Had a meeting. New responsibilities assigned.
4/24 - Presented the game in class.
4/23 - Redid most of the GUI
4/22 - Put the car in the world. It was a little too big (picture). 4/20 - Put random pieces on the car. I still don't know what guys think is a "cool car" but I think I am getting closer. New shot. 4/19 - The car is beginning to look somewhat presentable. Here's a shot. It won't be pink in the end.
4/17 - Presented the game in class.
4/16 - Rhino demo decided it felt like expiring this morning...ate all my work. Gave up the fight and started learning 3DsMax. It goes slowly but I am learning to make some things.
4/15 - Looked at 3DsMax and decided there was no way I could learn it in time. Found a demo copy of rhino and made most of a car, will add headlights on tomorrow morning.
4/14 - Milkshape expired this evening and won't let me save the work I did today. It was a decent car.
4/13 - Tried Blender some more. It was hard. Tried 3DsMax and realized there is no way I could learn it in time.
4/12 - Found acces to both Blender and 3DsMax. Both have pretty difficult interfaces.
4/10 - Redid website for new project
4/8 - Fixed website
4/7 - Launched Website
4/6 - Project Kickoff Meeting. Create project proposal.
4/11 - Finish looking over TGE code, particularly the racing demo.
4/12 - Begin creating game world. Set up web page.
4/15 - Be able to spawn in the world and move around without physics. Load in some stunt objects.
4/17 - Milestone 1: Playable prototype. Be able to drive car around world.
4/18 - Begin inserting stunt objects. Start getting car physics and gravity to work. Start creating GUI. Create some timing mechanism.
4/24 - Milestone 2: Game feature complete. Be able to drive car around the world and off jumps. Be able to be timed.
4/30 - Everything done. Make new art for textures and models if possible.
5/02/06 - Update
4/27/06 - Website updated. Added a section of stuff we learned the hard way for other teams to read and not have to learn the hard way.
4/26/06 - Sidebar up to date
4/25/06 - Website updated again
4/16/06 - Website updated with current progress
4/10/06 - Website redone because I am now in a new group
4/08/06 - Website update - put in the current progress and scheduled progress areas
4/07/06 - Launch
We would be happy to help other teams who are having problems