||Department of Computer Science
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
This page contains the list of movies you can choose from for your
immersive HCI movie summary.
One of the goals of this course is for you to critically evaluate immersive interfaces.
The summaries you will submit should be more than just a recap of the contents of the movie.
You should also give your analysis of the interfaces presented. Which aspects of the interfaces
were the most realistic? Which were the most useful? Since the time the movie was made, have
any technological/social/etc. developments made the interfaces obsolete? Do you expect any of them
to be implemented in the future? What would you do differently?
- The Lawnmower Man (1992). A reviewer on Amazon says: "An entertaining sci-fi film on the subject of virtual reality and artificial brain enhancement gone wrong."
- Disclosure (1994). Sex is power.
- Virtuosity (1995). Justice needs a new program.
- Johnny Mnemonic (1995). The Ultimate Hard Drive.
- eXistenZ (1999). Amazon says: "A game designer creates a virtual-reality game that taps into the players' minds."
- The Matrix (1999). Stop trying to hit me and hit me.
- The Thirteenth Floor (1999). Question reality. You can go there even though it doesn't exist.
- Minority Report (2002). What would you do if you were accused of a murder, you had not committed... yet?
- District 9 (2009). You are not welcome here.
- Avatar (2009). Return to Pandora.
- Iron Man 2 (2010). Stark.