IFIP Working Group 5.1
Information Technology in the Product Realization Process
In 2006 WG5.2 and WG5.3 were dissolved and merged into WG5.1 with revised Aims and Scope
IFIP Working Group 5.2 - Computer Aided Design
IFIP Working Group 5.2, Computer Aided Design, belongs to IFIP TC 5.
It was established in 1972, revised in 1986.
AimThe aim of WG 5.2 is to promote and encourage the advancement of the field of computer-aided design (CAD) and its associated topics.
It will work to reduce cost through development and standardization of techniques, software, firmware and hardware, taking into account the job satisfaction of the user of a specific CAD application and its impact on society.
- the theory of CAD
- software philosophy related to CAD
- systems software and architecture
- the methodology of CAD systems
- CAD-oriented data structures, data-bases, and relationships with other data-bases
- the lifetime of CAD software
- the language in which the CAD system is written
- human computer interaction and computer graphics issues for CAD
- input/output organizations
- expert systems for CAD
- coupling with manufacturing, testing and other CAD-related topics
- economic and social justifications
EventsThe working group organizes many events, such as working conferences and workshops, including:
- First IFIP WG5.2 Workshop on "Knowledge Intensive CAD" (KIC-1).
26-29 September 1995, Helsinki University of Technology, Finland.
- Second IFIP WG5.2 Workshop on "Knowledge Intensive CAD" (KIC-2).
16-18 September 1996, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, USA.
- Workshop on "Formal Design Methods for CAD",
13-16 June 1995, Mexico City, Mexico.
- Workshop on "Geometric Modeling in Computer-Aided Design" ,
19-23 May 1996, Airlie, Virginia, USA.
- Workshop on "Formal Aspects of Collaborative CAD",
17-20 February 1997, Jenolan Caves, Sydney, Australia.
- The Tenth International IFIP WG 5.2/5.3 Conference, Prolamat '98
September 9-12, 1998, Trento, Italy.
- Third IFIP WG5.2 Workshop on "Knowledge Intensive CAD" (KIC-3).
December 1-4, 1998, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan.
- Sixth International Workshop on Geometric Modelling: Fundamentals and Applications (GEO-6)
December 7-9, 1998, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan.
- Fourth IFIP WG5.2 Workshop on "Knowledge Intensive CAD" (KIC-4).
May 22-24, 2000, University of Parma, Parma, Italy.
- Fifth IFIP WG5.2 Workshop on "Knowledge Intensive CAD" (KIC-5).
23rd - 25th July 2002, University of Malta, Malta.
- Planned but not held:
Sixth IFIP WG5.2 Workshop on "Knowledge Intensive CAD" (KIC-6).
2004, University of California, Berkeley
- Chair: Prof. Umberto CUGINI
- Dipartimento di Meccanica
- Politecnico di Milano - Bovisa
- Via La Masa, 34
- 20156 Milano - Italy
- phone: +39 02 23998257
- e-mail: Umberto.Cugini@polimi.it
P. ten Hagen