CS539 MACHINE LEARNING. SPRING 99
Comparison of Machine Learning Methods
PROF. CAROLINA RUIZ
Department of Computer Science
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Each student in the class is expected to:
- select an ML technique/paradigm (mutually agreed upon with the instructor
not covered by the previous 3 projects nor by other students in the class.
These techniques include, but are not limited to,
instance-based learning, genetic algorithms, rule learning, and reinformen
- research the ML literature on this technique;
- design and implement a prototype system that solves the learning task
using the chosen learning technique;
- apply the constructed system to the census-income dataset;
- write a webpage summarizing the relevant background knowledge and project
- and give a 30 minute, oral, in-class presentation describing the
achievements of this project.
A comparison of the results obtained by the different learning techniques/algo
will be drawn as a group effort.
REPORT AND DUE DATE
Project 4 is due on Tuesday, April 13 at 5:30 pm.
Your system should follow the
Departmental Documentation Standard.
You should submit your code by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Written Report.
Please bring your report to my office (FL232) or to class by the due
date/time. Your report should discuss the following issues:
Your report should also include a short user manual explaining how to
install, run, and use your system.
- brief overview of the choosen learning technique,
- discussion of your literature review,
- description of your code,
- the experiments you ran with the system,
- experimental results,
- evaluation of the accuracy of the system over the training data,
- strengths and the weaknesses of your system.
- Oral Report.
We will have 30 minute oral presentation of each of the individual
projects during the class on April 13.
WEB PAGES OF THE INDIVIDUAL PROJECTS